Thursday, December 29, 2016

Pecan Pie

Happy Holidays! Hope everyone had a great Christmas/Hanukkah! I know my family in particular, is always going in a million different directions so it is always a treat to spend time with them.

This one is a Christmas special for my family, pecan pie! My mom and sister's favorite holiday treat! This recipe has been in my family for years - my grandma tore this recipe out of the Dear Abby column of the newspaper YEARS ago and the recipe has been in my family ever since.

Ingredients:
9" unbaked pie crust
1 cup of light corn syrup (light karo syrup)
1 cup  firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/3 cup of butter (melted)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of pecan halves

Baking instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. I chose to use a pillsbury pre-made pie crust because it is quick and easy but you can of course make your own and I have done it in the past. Put the crust into a 9" pie pan. When doing the crust, I use my fingers to make the crust look "ruffley" if you will. (refer to picture). Use a fork to place tint holes in the base of the crust.


                                             


3. I added all of the ingredients except for the eggs and the pecans into a large bowl.

4. Then add in the eggs. Try to stir the eggs in as quickly as possible but do not over whip the eggs.


                                              


5. Pour mixture into the pie crust. Then I line the pie with pecans, making rings until I reach the center. I do this twice so it has two layers of pecans.


                                                    


6. Then bake in the oven until the pie is firm. Stick a tooth pick in it just to be sure but it should cook for about 40 minutes.

7. Let cool and then enjoy!


                                                       


 I made this pie on Christmas and we brought it to a holiday party - it was a HUGE hit! Needless to say there were no leftovers which in my mind means success!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment