Friday, December 2, 2016

Chicken? Plain? Boring? Nah!

Chicken has this perception as a boring protein. Chicken does have a bland taste but when you add flavor to it then its great!!

I am all about marinades - marinades are the best way to impart flavor in chicken. Letting the marinade soak in over night allows it to soak up the flavor and then putting in the oven ensures that it will be tender.

As I do like to be healthy (disclaimer - I don't eat 99% of the desserts I make), chicken is high in protein which is important obviously.

When I am preparing for the week sometimes I will buy a package of chicken and make different marinades for each one. This helps make prep for dinner every night super easy and different flavors keeps things interesting.

This is one of my favorite chicken marinades that I just discovered recently.



Ingredients: 
2 Teaspoons of garlic powder
2 Teaspoons of rosemary (dried)
1/2 Cup of balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons of dijon Mustard
1/8 Cup of lemon juice
1/4 Cup of soy sauce
1/4 Cup of Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon of black pepper
3/4 Cup of brown sugar
2 Teaspoons of salt
1/2 cup of olive oil

To start, I add all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix them.

NOTE: I personally don't like using dried rosemary because all the petals get everywhere and it is not especially pleasant to eat it.



I then trim the chicken of any fat or blood vessels (GROSS!) and then I add it to a plastic baggie with the marinade.














I like to marinade the chicken for at least 24 hours.

To cook the chicken, I start out by cooking in a pan on medium heat. This helps to put some color on the chicken then I put it in the oven on 350 degrees.




Cooking it in the oven ensures that the chicken is tender. I think tough chicken is a deterrent for a lot of people to make it or want to eat it. But cooking chicken in the oven (what I call low and slow) is KEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment