Saturday, January 28, 2017

Spinach Dip Filled Onion Rings

My brother has recently gotten in the habit of tagging me in food making videos on Facebook. He recently tagged me in a video of spinach dip onion rings from the Food Network.

When we were together over the holidays - he asked me to make them for him, so I did as an appetizer before Christmas Dinner!





Ingredients:
1 white onion
1 clove of garlic
3 cups of panko bread crumbs
1 cup of flour
5 eggs
1 cup of shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup of romano cheese
1 8 oz. container of chive and onion cream cheese
5 ounces of spinach (I use the frozen rectangles from the grocery store)
1 can of artichoke hearts


To make the spinach dip:
1. Thaw out the spinach. To speed up the process, I put it on the stove with some chopped up garlic.



2. While the spinach is thawing, open the can of artichoke hearts and squeeze out all the liquid from them.

***This is the trick for having a thicker/less soupy spinach dip.




3. Place artichoke hearts in a food processor.

4. Once the spinach is thawed, place it in the food processor with the artichoke hearts.




5. Pulse the processor for a minute.

6. Then add two eggs, 1 cup of mozzarella, 1/2 cup of romano cheese, and the 8 oz chive and onion cream cheese.

7. Then run the food processor for two minutes or until everything appears to be mixed up.




To make onion rings:
1. Cut the onions into slices. I tried to do about 1/2 inch slices.

2. Lay the rings out on a sheet tray.



3. Add the spinach dip to the onion rings.

4. Then put the onion rings in the freezer for at least one hour.

*** This helps solidify everything together and makes it easier to bread the onion rings.





5. While the onion rings are freezing, set up the breading station. Set up three bowls: one with two eggs (beaten), flour and panko bread crumbs.


After at least an hour

6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

7. It is time to start breading the onion rings. Place the ring in the flour, then the egg, and then panko bread crumbs.




8. Place the rings on a sheet tray.

*** I do not like to fry things because it is unhealthy so I  cooked them in the oven.





9. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes on each side or until brown.


This was the result!!!



From what I heard, they were delicious! My brother, boyfriend, and even my dad really really loved them!!


No comments:

Post a Comment